WHAT IS MINDFULNESS?
Mindfulness means paying attention to your experiences in a particular way. By paying attention
to the present moment on purpose without judgment. So mindfulness is about focusing our attention, to the present moment, in the here and now. That's why mindfulness training sometimes is called attention training, but mindfulness training is more!
In mindfulness we can learn how to relate ourselves differently to stressful and difficult moment in life. By doing so our experience of these moments changes and it often enables us to better handle these moments. "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn how to surf!" is a well-known quote by mindfulness developer Jon Kabat-Zinn. We cannot always prevent the stressful and difficult moments
in our lives (you can't beat the waves), but we can learn how to deal with these moments in a different
way (you can learn how to surf).
INDIT facilitates mindfulness training based on Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) :
- MBSR training is developed by Jon Kabat-Zinn
- MBSR training is evidence based (see research)
- MBSR training includes eight 2,5-hour meetings and one six-hour silent retreat training day
- MBSR training is an experienced based training, meaning learning by experiencing
- MBSR training is a training, not therapy
MBSR training consists of the following aspects:
* Beginner’s mind practice
* Body scan practice
* Sitting meditation practice
* Mindful movement (yoga)
* Walking meditation practice
* Psycho-education (e.g. stress, thoughts)
* Practice at home (homework)